OSSMA Mathematicians will be resilient and logical thinkers, approaching their learning with passion and enthusiasm.
Why do we teach maths?
- To prepare students for the maths that they will experience in life
- Build resilience through the navigation of difficult topics and concepts
- To develop a logical system of thinking that can be applied to complex problems in different fields
- Numerate individuals who are able to make sense of mathematical information
What is magical about maths?
Maths has the ability to connect seemingly unrelated ideas.
‘Mathematics is a beautiful, imaginative, logical art’ - Ben Orlin
A mathematician at OSSMA aspires to:
- Rapidly and accurately recall and apply facts and concepts
- Reason mathematically; following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and justifying answers using mathematical language
- Behave mathematically; tackling complex problems using a range of strategies and persevering in seeking solutions
- Have high standards of disciplinary knowledge, drawing diagrams and presenting work accurately